IXL Group was established in Geelong over 160 years ago by Ebenezer Backwell, who setup shop in 1858 as a blacksmith. Today, IXL Backwell is a proudly owned and operated Australian family business with a rich heritage of history with operations including:
- IXL Home, a leading marketer and distributor in Australia and New Zealand of premium domestic appliance brands IXL, Cannon and iRobot
- Backwell IXL, a Geelong-based manufacturer whose capabilities include metal stamping, laser cutting, turret punching, cnc bending, welding, appliance manufacture, painting and assembly
- IXL Metal Castings, a Geelong-based foundry producing a wide range of ferrous castings for customers in Australia and overseas.
Kennedys Group Plumbing, Geelong team were appointed to rectify non-compliant workspaces within their Geelong operation due to the extensive roof and gutter leakages which were damaging laser cutting machines and other testing equipment.
The works commenced in July 2022 and included the replacement and installation of new roofing sheets, safety wire, 100 meters of box gutter, 275sgm of wall sheeting and timber frameworks.
Through the completion of works, IXL became compliant and were able to provide:
- A safe work zone for their employees, having removed previous slip hazards and electrical issues from the water leakage.
- A natural light filled workshop due to the new wall sheets and changes to the fiberglass which lowered electricity costs and allowed natural light into the space
- A more hygienic and safer environment with bird proofing to keep unwanted pigeons out of the facility
- Protection of future workers with the removal of un-used roof penetrations and safety wire installed under the roof
The IXL Group recently engaged the services of Matthew Kennedy and his team to complete two major roof and plumbing projects at our South Geelong manufacturing site.
Professionals with years of manufacturing experience we required the expertise of an organisation that understood the importance of minimal disruption and impact to our business as usual activities; maintaining the high level of service required of our customers both locally and globally.
Matt and his team, worked with the business to deliver a timely, well-executed project in an era of uncertainty.
The team from Kennedys became part of the IXL Group, not an isolated contractor. The planning and consistent communication delivered minimal impact to operations whilst delivering the requirements of the project in full. As a result the IXL Group extended the scope of works to include additional minor projects across the site.
We found Matt, Stephen Camilleri (Project Foreman) and the team to be professional, courteous and responsive to our groups requirements with a can do attitude and practical value for money solutions in some often complex and challenging historical conditions.
The IXL Group now have a simplified process with building maintenance and management that looks forward to a long positive relationship with the Kennedy Group.
– Adam Deller, Backwell IXL